Re: Why choose PostreSQL and not MySQL or Oracle!!

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Why choose PostreSQL and not MySQL or Oracle!!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:33:57AM +0200, Preben Holm wrote:

> F.x. StoredProcedures - is that supported by PostgreSQL?

Yes, but these mean different things (practically, it seems, for
every RDBMS).  The big thing with stred procedures in PostgreSQL is
that they cannot (currently) return record sets, exactly.  For more
detail, you can read the docs and the archives.

> "And actually mySQL has transaction safe tables using the innoDB or BDB
> table type" - does the PostreSQL support that too!??

PostgreSQL has always had transactions.  You need do nothing special.

> I've seen all the awards at the web-site - but why doesn't we hear
> anything about PostgreSQL - it's always MySQL (in the world of free
> alternatives)... PostgreSQL - is it a slow database (compared to MySQL)?

MySQL had an early head start.  It was small and fast (although just
brutally non-standard, and something of a toy).  Now it has
transactions (but not subselects), and so it's a more reasonable
choice, although the transaction support is bought at the cost of
speed.  For more details on this, just have a look at the archives.
There are regular MySQL/PostgreSQL flame-fests, but sometimes they
have some useful information in them.

--
----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue