Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От strange@nsk.yi.org
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 05:59:33PM +0200, Helge Bahmann wrote:
> > I very much doubt pg_dump would be seeking or telling on stdout, as it may
> > be a pipe, a tty, a socket, etc., so you can skip the cat and just do
> > pg_dump > dumpfile.sql.
> >
> > Oh, and cat doesn't need to be largefile-enabled as it never seeks in
> > files, as neither does pg_dump, as it doesn't, or shouldn't (I see no need
> > for), seek in the output file.
>
> no and no, this will *not* work; the file has to be opened with the flag
> O_LARGEFILE, otherwise the kernel will refuse to write files larger than
> 2GB. Really.

Yeah, and cat will *never* open any file to write to, anyway.

I do say at the end:

"The only thing to worry would be when opening the large files, but a
simple rule in autoconf will set the needed #define in the headers..."

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.