Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Well, you didn't vote again in my follow up email, so I thought you
> > didn't care anymore, and Thomas didn't reply to my email either.  I am
> > clearly concerned, as you are, but Thomas isn't, and no one else seems
> > to care.
>
> k, why are you concerned?  see my other message, but if the major concern
> is the xlog directory for a postmaster, then put in a consistency check
> for when starting ...

I really have two concerns;  one, the ability to point to the wrong
place or to the default place accidentally if PGXLOG isn't set, and two,
the addition of PGXLOG/-X into postmaster, postgres, pg_ctl where it
really isn't adding any functionality and just adds bloat to the
commands arg list.

> then again, how many out there are running multiple instances of
> postmaster on their machine that would move xlog to a different location
> without realizing they did?  I know in my case, we're working at reducing
> the # of instances on our servers to 2 (internal vs external), but, our
> servers are all on a RAID5 array, so there is nowhere to really "move"
> xlog to out then its default location ... but I can see the usefulness of
> doing so ...
>
> Myself, if I'm going to move something around, it will be after the server
> has been running for a while and I've added in more drive space in order
> to correct a problem i didn't anticipate (namely, disk I/O) ... at that
> point, I really don't wan tto have to dump/re-initdb/load just to move the
> xlog directory to that new drive ...

No dump/reload required, but the creation of a _dreaded_ symlink is
required.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src