Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS  (Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net>)
Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:15:46AM -0500, Greg Copeland wrote:

> If by "turn...on", you mean recompile, that's a horrible idea IMO.

Ah.  Well, that is what I meant.  Why is it horrible?  PostgreSQL
doesn't take very long to compile.

> I guess what I'm trying to say here is, it's moving the problem from
> being a postgres specific issue (not compiled in -- having to recompile
> and install and not knowing if it's (dis)enabled) to a general body of
> knowledge (does my system support such-n-such capabilities).

The problem is not just a system-level one, but a filesystem-level
one.  Enabling 64 bits by default might be dangerous, because a DBA
might think "oh, it supports largefiles by default" and therefore not
notice that the filesystem itself is not mounted with largefile
support.  But I suspect that the developers would welcome autoconfig
patches if someone offered them.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110