Re: HASH: Out of overflow pages. Out of luck

От nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Тема Re: HASH: Out of overflow pages. Out of luck
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:41:04AM -0500, selkovjr@xnet.com wrote:
> Some of the data structures resemble each other's counterparts;
> the only piece that is exactly the same as one of the five
> BerkelyDB's hash functions.

FYI, the development version of PostgreSQL uses a completely
different (and higher quality) hash function.

> The only useful experiment that I feel I am capable of making is
> trying their __ham_hash5() function, with they claim is generally
> better than the other four, for most purposes.

I'm skeptical that changing the hash function would make a significant
difference to the usability of hash indexes. At the very least, the
reproducible deadlocks under concurrent access need to be fixed, as well
as a host of other issues.

Cheers,

Neil

--