Julian day calculation is wrong (strictly speaking)

От Christian Ullrich
Тема Julian day calculation is wrong (strictly speaking)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello!

I'm using the Julian Day Count for storage of dates in my
application, because I don't need sub-day resolution and
PostgreSQL makes my life much simpler because it can convert
to and from JD by itself.

However, I've found that the method which is used to generate
the Julian Day for a given date in the Gregorian Calendar is
somewhat wrong: It returns always the number of the JD that
starts at noon on a given date, disregarding the time of day.

Now, I'm not going to complain too loudly about this, because
it's just what I need -- I'm simplifying the calculations in
my app in just the same way. But it's still a nonstandard
behaviour which could be a problem to some people.

I don't know what would be the best way to fix this (or if it
needs to be fixed at all); I just wanted to remind you of this.
Feel free to disregard this message.

--
Christian Ullrich                   Registrierter Linux-User #125183

"Deliver."