Re: Installing postgresql

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Installing postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 05 August 2002 04:07 am, jeff wrote:
> I would like to evaluate postgresql. I want to install the RPM version
> on a redhat 7.1 server. I looked at the files at
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/postgresql/binary/v7.2.1/RPMS/ but I can't
> tell which files I need.

You will have to rebuild from the source RPM for Red Hat 7.1 for Intel.  Grab
the .src.rpm out of SRPMs.  You will then need to 'rpm --rebuild' (as root)
that src.rpm.  If you get errors and it won't build, you need to make sure
that you have a sufficient development system installed -- IIRC, with Red Hat
7.1 you will need to manually install the python-devel package.  You must
have X development installed as well.

You really need to read the README.rpm-dist file -- you can see it my doing
'rpm -i postgresql-7.2.1-1PGDG.src.rpm' and navigating to
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

> And if they are for an intel linux why do they
> have the name sparc appended at the end?

Because they are for a _SPARC_ Linux, not Intel.  The only machines I still
have running anything older than Red Hat 7.3 is a pair of SPARC's running Red
Hat 6.2, and since I needed to test the buildability of the source RPM on a
Red Hat 6.2 machine of any flavor, I built the SPARC set.

But whatever you do don't try to install the RPM that came with Red Hat 7.3
(which is what you will find off of rpmfind.net), unless you want to do an
equivalent of upgrading to Red Hat 7.3 ahead of time.

Although the frequency of this request has gotten me to thinking about new
directions in my RPM maintenance.  Red Hat is doing a great job of keeping
their latest distribution populated with the latest version of PostgreSQL,
but older dists are getting left out.  I will investigate what it will take
to support older versions in terms of disk space, and will see what I can do
to alleviate the situation.  I will have to acquire some more hard disks,
however.  If anyone wants to donate a 4-5 GB IDE hard drive to the cause (or
a similar-sized SCSI drive, wide, narrow, or ultra) I have a machine to build
it upon.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio