Re: "analyze" putting wrong reltuples in pg_class

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: "analyze" putting wrong reltuples in pg_class
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Could we somehow track how many pages we _couldn't_ get into the free
space map, then when the map is empty _and_ we find we have found there
are some pages that we couldn't store during the last vacuum, we throw a
message to the server logs?  (Just thinnking out loud.)

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is there any way we can warn users when their fsm parameters are too
> > small?
>
> Not until we understand what too small is :-(  If anyone's undertaken
> any experiments to figure out what an appropriate FSM size setting is,
> I'm not aware of it.
>
> The default setting is 10000 pages which would certainly cover all the
> free space in 8K*10000 = 80meg of tables, and in practice would cover
> significantly more space as long as most of your pages weren't updated
> often (and hence didn't have free space to worry about).  But obviously
> this number is on the low side for production databases, especially
> large ones.  We need to put "pay attention to FSM size" right after
> "pay attention to shared_buffers" in the standard list of tuning tips.
>
> Presumably there's some tradeoff curve that says max_fsm_pages should
> cover X% of your physical database page count if you update Y% of the
> database rows between vacuums.  I'm not sure what the curve looks like
> though --- the real issue is how many distinct pages are likely to be
> touched when you update so-and-so many rows?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Сообщение: Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding when doing analyze
Сообщение: Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding