Re: MySQL or Postgres ?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: MySQL or Postgres ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You may want to re-post your info for the benefit of your readers.
For specifics, see below.

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:39:10AM -0700, Antti Halonen wrote:

> AFAIK, Postgre don't have replication. Great Bridge gang was doing
> something but it never happend I think.

There are a couple of answers for replication.  The rserv code in
contrib/ is a bother to set up, but it works.  It's slomewhat slow
and not bulletproof, however.

PostgreSQL, Inc has an improved version of this code.  It works very
well.  It is currently under commercial license.  (By the way, I have
mentioned on here more than once that we re-implemented some of the
Perl code from PostgreSQL, Inc., in Java.  I was having a litte
trouble with our re-implementation; but the problem was a
badly-documented config file.  Anyway, if you're interested in info
about either the Java or Perl versions, you should talk to
PostgresSQL, Inc.)

I gather that the dbmirror code works, too.

> For basic backups both of them should be fine. Note that with Postgre,
> if you get lot's of updates you have to run vacuum to clean up the
> transaction mess, and this basically halts the db.

Not as of 7.2.

> - No replication, no fulltext index, no query cache

The fulltext index is also false.  There are modules in contrib/ to
handle that.  Others here have used them, but I haven't, so I can't
speak to how good they are.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110