Re: Open 7.3 items

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Open 7.3 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > I am working on it now.  I decided against doing any kind of database
> > > prepending at the user level.  You create the user as 'dbname.username'.
> > > That is clearer, rather than prepending based on the db you are
> > > connected to.  The only code change is in the postmaster authentication
> > > lookup and ownership setting from the backend connection.
> >
> > Okay, just a couple of questions ... if there any way of provide
> > 'superuse' access a user of the database for creating new users?  Say one
> > creates a dbname.pgsql account, could it be given 'create user' privileges
> > for other users with a prefix of dbname.*?
>
> Uh, that will be tough.
>
> Super-user account will not be qualified by dbname for simplicity.
>
> > and, what happens if one doesn't specify dbname.*?  does that user become
> > 'global', or have access to nothing?
>
> Access to nothing.  I could actually try to quality by dbname.username,
> then fall back to just username, but that seems insecure.

No, that's cool ... just questions I thought of ...

Okay ... hmmm ... just making sure that I understand ... I setup a server,
when does this dbname.* come into play?  Only if I enable password/md5 in
pg_hba.conf for a specific database?  all others would still use a plain
'username' still works?  or are you getting rid of the 'global usernames'
altogether (which is cool too, just want to clarify) ...