Re: WAL file location

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: WAL file location
Дата
Re: WAL file location  (Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:23:07AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info> writes:
> > a.    The system uses no environment variables at all; some other
> > method is used to determine where the config file is (maybe compiled
> > into the code);
>
> > If I understand it, nobody is really arguing for (a).
>
> I am.  I see absolutely no advantage in depending on environment

Ok, how then would one set the location of the config file?  Though I
mentioned it, I don't really thing that compiled-in is an option: I
don't want to have to have four versions of the binary to just to run
four postmasters on four ports.  Maybe a --with-config-file option to
start the postmaster?

And I presume this is all for the server only, right?  Nobody is
talking about getting rid of (for instance) $PGPORT for clients,
right?  (I'm sorry if I seem obtuse, or if this is really none of my
business, since I'm not offering to fix this up, since I can't.  But
I'm very keen to make sure that administration of large postgres
installations doesn't become terribly difficult.)

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110