Re: Password sub-process ...

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Password sub-process ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> so, I can easily do something like:
>
> host database bruce IP1
> host database bruce IP2
>
> and know that client on IP1 can't look at client on IP2s database, even
> with the same user ... but in a VH environment, you have:
>
> host database bruce IP1
> host database bruce IP1
>
> in the old system, I could make both password based, so that altho both
> bruce's were looking to come from the same IP, only the one with the right
> password could connect, so Client on IP1's bruce wouldn't be able to look
> in Client on IP2's database, since he wouldn't have the required password
> to connect ...
>
> > I assume it would be MD5?
>
> I've been using DES, but MD5 would work too ...

OK, I have one idea.  Right now the file format for usernames can be:
user, user, "user"
oruser user "user"
oruseruser"user"

so we don't really have columns in the file.  What we could do is to
allow the username to be specified as "user:pass" and the "pass" could
be in plaintext or md5.  You could actually specify the "pass" in
pg_hba.conf or in a secondary file.  The code currently makes no
distinction between them.

This does make the code a little more complex, but it is documenting
this that be cause the most confusion.

Pennsylvania19026