Re: WAL file location

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: WAL file location
Дата
Re: WAL file location  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 08:10:02PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> BTW, you mention in another message that environment variables work
> well for you. Well, they are a security problem waiting to happen,
> IMHO. Do you have any objections to having a file containing a list
> of the various data directories? Maybe we could put the log directory
> in it, too, and have PGDATA point to that file, so we'd need only one
> environment variable? (And then we'd have a more obviously accessable
> list of where everything is, as well.)

I guess I'm dumb, but I'm not seeing how these environment variables
are a big security risk.  It's true, however, that putting such
settings in the config file or something might be better, if only
because that limits the number of places where various config things
happen.

In any case, it'd be a _very good_ thing to have a tablespace-like
facility.  Its lack is a real drawback of PostgreSQL for anyone
looking to manage a large installation.  RAID is your friend, of
course, but one can get a real boost to both performance and
flexibility by adding this sort of feature, and anything that moves
PostgreSQL closer to such a goal is, in my view, nothing but a good
thing.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110