Re: Password sub-process ...

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Password sub-process ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 13:55:58 -0300, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> As an example ... at the University I work at, we've started to use PgSQL
> for more and more of our internal stuff, and/or let the students start to
> use it for their projects ... so we have PgSQL running on one server,
> while its being access by other ones around campus.  I'd like to be able
> to be able to streamline things so that operations could easily create a
> new database for a student (or faculty) on the server as a simple SQL
> "CREATE DATABASE/USER" command, vs risking them making a mistake when they
> manually edit the pg_hba.conf file ...

From what I read in the development docs, in 7.3 you will be able to just
do a createuser and createdb to make things work. There will be a "sameuser"
user specification which will allow access to a database with a matching name.

> Also, I thnk I might have missed the point of the whole CONNECT privilege
> thing ... if I have two ppl named joe on the system, each with different
> passwords, how does the CONNECT know which one is the one that has access
> to that database?

I think for something like a University or IT shop you would want to use
IDs that are consistant accross all servers. Unfortunately when you are
providing hosting service for other companies it may not be feasible to
do that.