Re: Security, IP and username restrictions

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Security, IP and username restrictions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:08:12 +0300,
  Tuomas Vanhanen <postgres@tuomasvanhanen.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m very new to Postgres and I need some help with following: (some how I
> was unable to mail to the newbie maillist, sorry..)
>
> Is it possible to restrict user rights by using both username+password and
> IP address.
>
> I have a situation where same user accessing the database from different
> locations (IP addresses) must have different user rights. This means, that
> same user in different locations would see different ammount of data. I know
> I can build this easily to the web based front-end, but I´d like to make the
> restriction in Postgres too.

How could you use a web based front end to do this? If the user is going
through a web page it will be the web page's cgi scripts accessing the
database not the user.

Since access rights are given out by user name, there won't be a way for a user
name to have different rights when connecting from different IP addresses.
You will be able to have different block rules per user in 7.3. So that
you may be able to solve your problem by giving one user several user names
and then restricting which user names can connect from which IP addresses.