Re: Backend died abnormally - postgresql 7.2.1-5

От nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Тема Re: Backend died abnormally - postgresql 7.2.1-5
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:22:47AM -0500, Rick Eicher II wrote:
>     NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>         The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
>         died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>         I have rolled back the current transaction and am
>         going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
>         Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

>   [root@nemisis httpd]# free
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:        512440     504104       8336       1240     130028
> 303896
> -/+ buffers/cache:      70180     442260
> Swap:        80284        312      79972

> 1. Does this system need more memory?

Doesn't look like it. In general, it might be wise to use a bit more
swap, but that doesn't appear to be causing the problem.

> 2. What should be my next step in finding this problem?

Is the crash reproducible, and if so, can you post the query or
situation that causes the crash to occur? (you can enable query
logging with debug_print_query in postgresql.conf)

Is there a core file in one of your database directories -- and if
so, can you get a backtrace from it using gdb? It might also be
useful to get a backtrace from a debugging build (--enable-debug).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>