Re: Pushing PostgreSQL to the Limit (urgent!)

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: Pushing PostgreSQL to the Limit (urgent!)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
<baptista@linuxsolutions.com.br> wrote:

>     I will put it to insert 30 M (millions) registers by month (or 1
> Million by day) in a year is about 400 Millions registers.
>     Can pgsql support this? In What Machine?

I have a similar application.  I am storing astronomical data
from a set of automated cameras.  The data just floods in
forever.  I can see a billion rows in the future.
I find that I _can_ keep up using only modest hardware IF I use
"COPY" and not "INSERT" to input the data.  "COPY" is much, much
faster.  Also indexes help with SELECT speed not really hurt
COPY/INSERT speed so you need to ballance.  1 Million per
24 hour period is not to much for a "standard" PC   BUT if you
also want to do many SELECTS or JOINS at the same time then
you will need more so the hardware depends on what _else_ you
are doing.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com