Re: inner join between database

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: inner join between database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 14:37:28 +0200,
  Christoph Dalitz <christoph.dalitz@hs-niederrhein.de> wrote:

> > > Can I use Inner join two tables between two databases?
> >
> > You cannot do that.
> >
> Ooops!
> Does that mean there is no way to access data from another
> database within the *same* cluster?

I am not sure what you mean by cluster in this context. However, separate
databases cannot have direct references to each other. This is on the
todo list, but I haven't seen messages on the lists indicating this will
be done anytime soon.

> That would cause me some trouble because I plan to give each
> user his own database (PG does not support SCHEMAs).

Schema support will be in 7.3 which is supposed to go into beta in August
sometime. The last comment I noticed regarding the current status is that
playing with it (current CVS) on production servers was not a good idea.
However, if you are developign something now that doesn't need to be
deployed for a few months, than maybe it would be worth looking at this
option.

> Is there no way to make a single table available to all users?

I don't think this is really the question you want answered. You certainly
can have a table in a database and give all of your users access to that
database and that table. However they won't be able to use that table
directly with data located in their private databases. Depending on how
this data is created and used, there may be acceptable practical work
arounds.