Re: Disabling case sensitivity

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Disabling case sensitivity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:36:20PM -0700, igor wrote:

> the code. There must to be some way how to completely disable all
> case-sensitivity from the server without change the code, no?

I guess you could edit the sources, but I frankly cannot understand
the point of the request.  If some system has decided that
'BoBsYouRUNcLE'='bobsyouruncle', then as far as I'm concerned, that
system is badly broken.  They're not the same string.  I should be
very annoyed not to be able to tell the difference.

Being able to ignore the difference strictly in terms of case
(appropriately defined by locale) is what things like ILIKE are for.
But "=" means "the same", not "sort of the same".

If your application can't be fixed, and relies entirely on some
(non-)feature of some other system, well, then, you have to use that
other system.  Them's the breaks.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110