Re: Linux max on shared buffers?

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: Linux max on shared buffers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Chris Albertson wrote:
<SNIP>
> > I keep adding buffer space until the CPU utilization goes to
> > ~100%.  Adding more buffer after this does little to speed up
> > querries.  I use the "top" display under either Linux or Solaris.
>
> Um...I just don't quite feel up to explaining why I think this is
> quite wrong...

It is easy to explain why I am wrong;  You have run timming tests
and have measurments that disagree with what I wrote.  If you do
have such data, good then we can find out the diferences in the
test methods.

I am not so interrrested in theroy but possibly the O/S (linux and
Solaris in my case) buffer and PostgreSQL bufers are not
interchanceable
as they are managed using diferent algorithums and the OS level buffer
is shared with other aplications

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com