Re: Linux max on shared buffers?

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: Linux max on shared buffers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
What I have found, on a machine that is doing mostly DBMS servering
if you have a small shared buffer you will see that the CPU is
not fully utilized as it is waiting on I/O a lot of the time.
I keep adding buffer space until the CPU utilization goes to
~100%.  Adding more buffer after this does little to speed up
querries.  I use the "top" display under either Linux or Solaris.

This is purly imperical and based on observation but it makes
sense that if the point of the buffer is to avoid disk I/O that
after disk I/O is no longer the bottle neck then adding more
buffers does little good.  On a typial 1 CPU PC after about 200MB
of buffer the CPU becomes the bottle neck

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550