Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

От Tim Allen
Тема Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:21, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Hannu Krosing writes:
> > I would even reccommend going a step further and storing all 'national'
> > character sets in unicode.
>
> Sure.  However, Tatsuo maintains that the customary Japanese character
> sets don't map very well with Unicode.  Personally, I believe that this is
> an issue that should be fixed, not avoided, but I don't understand the
> issues well enough.

Presumably improving the Unicode support to cover the full UTF32 (or UCS4)
range would help with this. Last time I checked, PostgreSQL only supports the
UCS2 subset of Unicode, ie 16 bits. From the Unicode propaganda I've read, it
seems that one of the main goals of the expansion of the range beyond 16 bits
was to answer the complaints of Japanese users.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/ http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/rita_tim/