Re: Serious Crash last Friday

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Serious Crash last Friday
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:51:00PM +0200, Henrik Steffen wrote:
> excuse me, but what is a "non-destructive badblocks (or
> whatever) test" - and how can I do this?

If you're using linux, try "man badblocks".

On Solaris, a similar command is diskscan.

Other systems will have other names.  I can't recall how to do this
on BSD, and I can't find anything in my local man db at the moment.
I'll bet someone else here knows.

You should check for other hardware faults, too.  A bad memory module
can provide for all sorts of strange errors on your system (although
if it never locks up or crashes, I'd look elsewhere for the problem
first).  In recent releases, PostgreSQL has proven to be very stable,
but you are having a lot of trouble, and many others are not
reporting similar problems.  That leads one to suspect that you have
faulty hardware; it certainly requires, at least, that you eliminate
hardware as a factor.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110