Re: Query Casting Help

От Robert L Mathews
Тема Re: Query Casting Help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 7/8/02 11:51 PM, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

>I am trying to execute this little bit:
>
>(extract(month from current_date) + interval '1 month')
>
>The system says I need to cast because it can't figure out how to add
>these... I read through the manual and I am still a little confused.

The parentheses aren't in quite the right place. Try:

extract(month from (current_date + interval '1 month'))

That is, you want to add 1 month to the current date first (adding a date
and an interval), then extract the month number from the result of that.

Your version extracted the month integer first -- "8" -- then tried
adding an interval to it, but it doesn't make sense to add integers and
intervals together.

Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies