Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 12:58:07PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> What would be really cool is if we could somehow reuse the conversion
> modules provided by the C library and/or the iconv library.  For example,
^^^^^^^
Very good point. Why use own conversion routines/tables if there is commonlibrary for this?
The encoding API for PostgreSQL is really cool idea.
I unsure with only one argument for encoding function. What if I wantto use one generic function for all encodings (for
exampleas API toiconv)? I think better C interface is:

   encode( TEXT data, NAME from, NAME to );
where from/to are encoding names. The other way is use some structthat handle this information -- like ARGS in trigger
functions.
   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz