Re: Bug in 7.2.1? -- ERROR: Adding columns with defaults

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Bug in 7.2.1? -- ERROR: Adding columns with defaults
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Using pg 7.1.2,  I can enter the following statement successfully:
>
> # alter table manufacturer add column dummy integer not null default
> 1;
>
> However, under 7.2.1, the same statement gets me --
>
> ERROR:  Adding columns with defaults is not implemented.
>         Add the column, then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
>
> My question is two-fold -- first, is this new behavior a feature, or a
> bug?

IIRC, the column's default was lost in past versions so the statement
never really worked.

> I'd like to stick with 7.2.1, but this new behavior is making it
> difficult for me.  I can't simply drop & recreate all my tables just
> to add a column!

Do it in two or three statements:
alter table manufacturer add column dummy integer;
alter table manufacturer alter column dummy set default 1;
-- if you want past rows to have 1 rather than null
update manufacturer set dummy=1;