Re: (A) native Windows port

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: (A) native Windows port
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:39:13PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> One other usability note: why can't postmaster perform the steps of
> an initdb if -D points to an empty directory?  It's not that much
> code, is it?  (I know that one extra step isn't backbreaking, but
> I'm looking at this from a rank newbie's point of view -- or at
> least I'm trying to look at it in that way, as it's been a while
> since I was a rank newbie at PostgreSQL) Oh well, just a random
> thought.

Rank newbies shouldn't be protected in this way, partly because if
something goes wrong, _they won't know what to do_.  Please, please,
don't be putting automagic, database destroying functions like that
into the postmaster.  It's a sure way to cause a disaster at aome
point.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110