Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am being interviewed by OReilly )

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am being interviewed by OReilly )
Дата
Re: Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am  (Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>)
Re: Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am  (Alessio Bragadini <alessio@albourne.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> You could make a fair argument that the upcoming 7.3 ought to be called
> 8.0, because the addition of schema support will break an awful lot of
> client-side code ;-).  But I doubt we will do that.

Actually, from reading that thread, I started to think along those lines
too ... it is a major change, is there a reason why going to 8.0 on this
one is a bad idea?  I realize that its *only* been 2 years that we've been
in v7.0 ... :)  v7.0 was released back in Mar of 2000 ... so its almost
2.5 years ...

I don't necessarily agree with Bruce's thought that distributed
replication would be the marker, since there is no set path to that right
now, nor is there, I believe, enough knowledge about whether or not bring
such in will affect anyting other then the backend itself ...

With this next release, we are looking at breaking the front-end apps, as
I understand it ... I think that's pretty drastic of a change to force
going to 8.0 ...

We don't release fast, or often, so our v7.2 is like some other projects
v7.26, at the rate some of them release ...

I'd like to see this next release go to 8.0 ...