Re: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle stability

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle stability
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I'm considering porting code from Oracle to PostgreSql. I'm looking
> for opinions from people that are experienced with both PostgreSQL and
> Oracle:
>
> 1) Is the stability better, equal or worse when comparing Oracle 9i?
> 2) Are there any performance issues to be aware of when comparing
> PostgreSql an d Oracle (on the same hardware configuration) - eg. size
> of table colums, count of records in tables (and indexes).
> 3) And how about the work for DB administrators - are things simpler
> or more complicated?

First off, I don't have much experience with Oracle, but I have done a couple
things with it, and one of my colleagues has used it much more extensively.

1) stability - I have not had stability problems with a recent release of
postgresql. The developers sometimes mention potential problems, but I
haven't encountered one (at least after 7.1, before that I seem to remember a
couple minor issues). I haven't heard of any problems with oracle.

2) I can't provide you with any meaningful info about performance. I didn't do
any scientific performance comparison. One thing I can say, is that my
colleague needed to spend a lot of time giving hints to oracle because
(according to him) the planner was really bad and frequently made planning
errors.

3) Much easier to administrate postgres. I gave up trying to get oracle
working myself.

Regards,
    Jeff