Re: listen/notify argument (old topic revisited)

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: listen/notify argument (old topic revisited)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 02 July 2002 06:03 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Let me tell you what would be really interesting.  If we didn't report
> the pid of the notifying process and we didn't allow arbitrary strings
> for notify (just pg_class relation names), we could just add a counter
> to pg_class that is updated for every notify.  If a backend is
> listening, it remembers the counter at listen time, and on every commit
> checks the pg_class counter to see if it has incremented.  That way,
> there is no queue, no shared memory, and there is no scanning. You just
> pull up the cache entry for pg_class and look at the counter.
>
> One problem is that pg_class would be updated more frequently.  Anyway,
> just an idea.

I think that currently a lot of people use select() (after all, it's mentioned
in the docs) in the frontend to determine when a notify comes into a
listening backend. If the backend only checks on commit, and the backend is
largely idle except for notify processing, might it be a while before the
frontend realizes that a notify was sent?

Regards,Jeff