Re: Pg 7.2B5 -> 7.2.1

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Pg 7.2B5 -> 7.2.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 19 June 2002 09:21 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org> writes:
> > way to go.  The first is an install using a Redhat RPM (teg's) and I
> > haven't decided on how to go with the 7.2.1 but probably a Redhat RPM
> > from the RHL 7.3 distribution.

> However, I'd be less confident that two randomly-chosen RPM releases
> will be binary-compatible --- they might have been built with different
> choices of install directory, default PGDATA directory, etc.  Given that
> you used teg's beta RPM I'd recommend you stick with his release RPM.

Trond released two different sets of 7.2.1 RPM's -- one for Red Hat 7.2, and
one for Red Hat 7.3 (which was the set actually shipped with Red Hat 7.3).
My PGDG RPMset for 7.2.1 was built on Red Hat 7.3.

When in doubt about 'binary compatibility' -- read as: 'all library versions
the same', use your good friend 'rpm --rebuild' and grab the source RPM.  Red
Hat 7.3's source RPM is as good as any, although I'm a little biased to the
PGDG set....  Documentation on rebuilding from source RPM is packaged with
the RPM distribution as README.rpm-dist, which is available as part of the
source RPM in the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory if you just 'rpm -i' the
source RPM.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio