Re: UPDATE ... FROM vs standard SQL

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: UPDATE ... FROM vs standard SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Friday 07 Jun 2002 4:20 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > While PG's FROM extension makes life simple, I can't believe there's
> > not a way
> > to do an update on a join using standard SQL.
>
> I don't understand why you're worried about this.  The lack of UPDATE
> .. FROM is widely regarded as an omission by the ANSI committee, and
> most SQL RDBMS support it, including MS SQL Server and Oracle.  I'm not
> sure about MySQL, but MySQL doesn't support sub-selects either.

Tell me about it. Where I'm using MySQL on client web-servers I find myself
porting the data into PG to massage it then putting the results back into
MySQL. One of the things missing from the various reviews/comparisons on the
web is any actual comparison of usage for DBA tasks (as opposed to handling a
message-board app etc)

> Is there a database you're tinking of that sticks to the strict SQL92
> definitions?  OpenBase, maybe?

Nope - mostly work with PG/MySQL/MS-SQL/Access. I use all the features at the
psql prompt, but like to stick to the standard for app-generated queries.

Thanks Josh

- Richard Huxton

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: