Re: Constraint problem

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Constraint problem
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Thu, 16 May 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Stephan,
> > > I don't seem to be able to create a UNIQUE constraint as DEFERRABLE.  Is
> this
> > > not supported?
> >
> > Not currently.
>
> Hmm ... my workaround didn't work.   I need to impose a unique constraint on
> an INT column in a table, but make sure that the constraint isn't checked
> until the end of an UPDATE statement, so that I can swap values when I need
> to.
>
> How can I do this?

I unfortunately can't think of a good workaround. AFAICT, Unique should
wait until after all of the updates but our implementation doesn't
currently do so.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas, because the best I can think of
requires an additional full table scan to check uniqueness and the
concurrency issues would be a bear.