Re: [HACKERS] Bug #659: lower()/upper() bug on

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Bug #659: lower()/upper() bug on
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> > Are you sure that say, de_DE.utf8 locale produce meaningful results
> > for any other languages?
>
> there are often subtle differences, but upper() and lower() are much
> more likely to produce right results than collation order or date/money
> formats.
>
> in fact seem to be only 10 distinct LC_CTYPE files for ~110 locales with
> most european-originated languages having the same and only
> tr_TR, zh_??, fr_??,da_DK, de_??, ro_RO, sr_YU, ja_JP and ko_KR having
> their own.

I see. So the remaining problem would be how to detect the existence
of *.utf8 collation at the configure time.

> > If so, why are there so many *.utf8 locales?
>
> As I understand it, a locale should cover all locale-specific issues
>
> > > btw, does Japanese language have distinct upper and lower case letters ?
> >
> > There are "full width alphabets" in Japanese. Thoes include not only
> > ASCII letters but also some European characters.
>
> Are these ASCII and European characters uppercased in some
> Japanese-specific way ?

Probably not, but I'm not sure since my Linux box does not have *.utf8
locales.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Bug #659: lower()/upper() bug on
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Bug #659: lower()/upper() bug on