Re: How to deal with crashes?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: How to deal with crashes?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:30:33PM +0400, Andrey Mishchenko wrote:
> Periodically, Postgres crashes. The following lines are added to the log
> file:
> 2002-04-17 13:55:18 [17524]  DEBUG:  server process (pid 23600) was
> terminated by signal 11
> 2002-04-17 13:55:18 [17524]  DEBUG:  terminating any other active server
> processes

etc...

Are you logging the queries? It would be helpful if you could identify the
query actually causing the problem.

> I do not run debug version, so core dump is not available (I'm not sure
> that it's a good idea to run debug version on the real web site, and this
> problem occures only on that particular server).

Debug info doesn't actually cost anything speed-wise or memory-wise. And
that's all you need to get useful info out of a core dump.

> Please tell me, what should I do solve my problem?
> Is it safe to run debug version on the public web server?
> What will be the penalties of doing that? (server runs ~10000 queries
> daily)?

Logging the queries is only really an issue if you don't rotate the logs on
a regular basis.

HTH,