Convert "epoch" to timestamp

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Convert "epoch" to timestamp
Дата
Re: Convert "epoch" to timestamp  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
jeff=# select version();
                              version

 PostgreSQL 7.2 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.5, compiled
by GCC 2.95.3
(1 row)

I need to convert the "epoch" (i.e. number of seconds)
timestamp to a PostgreSQL timestamp.

The extract/date_part functions do it easily the other
way, but I have had some difficulty in doing what I
need.

According to posts in the archives, the following used
to work:

jeff=# select extract (epoch from
current_timestamp(0));
 date_part
------------
 1019571752
(1 row)

jeff=# select timestamp(1019571752);
ERROR:  TIMESTAMP(1019571752) WITH TIME ZONE precision
must be between 0 and 13
jeff=#

I assume this change came with the other date/time
changes in version 7.2.

The following works:

jeff=# select abstime(1019571752);
        abstime
 2002-04-23 09:22:32-05
(1 row)

Can I rely on this continuing to work?  Apparently
not, because the docs say (wrt "abstime" and
"reltime"): "Any or all of these internal types might
disappear in a future release."

Is there another/better way?