Re: Scaling postgres

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Scaling postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 08:45:56PM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:38:06 +1000
> "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> > Also, an idling client generally does not keep a connection open to the
> > Apache server. So if you have 800 people changing webpage once a minute,
> > you're really only going to be handling 15 processes at the same time.
>
> This assumes you're not using KeepAlives, in which case an httpd child
> will wait around for KeepAliveTimeout seconds before serving other
> clients.

Hmm, the default is 15 seconds. So if you are expecting lots of short
transactions, this could blow out your connection count to 200 or so.
Depending on the situation I'd be tempted to drop that down since the costs
of setting up connections is much lower on a LAN than over the internet
(assuming he's running on a LAN).

But a valid point notheless...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/