Re: Functions in Postgres

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Functions in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Gordon Clarke writes:
>
> > I was asking to see if there was any speed penalty with coding a fn in SQL
> > as opposed to PL/pgsql. It appears that there is and from what you've said
> > PL/pgsql is slightly faster than PL/TCL and probably PL/Perl. Am I correct
> > in drawing that conclusion?
>
> Yes, that seems about right.
   I  would  say it depends pretty much on what that function is   doing.   PL/pgSQL  is  not  the  best  answer  to
do string   manipulation  and  such.  PL/Tcl can do that alot better, Tcl   has it's own bytecode compiler since 8.0
(ifmemory  serves),   and  if  the  programmer  cares,  it can cache query plans as   well. As allways

   a)  Using the right tool for  a  problem  can  lead  to  good       results.
   b)  A fool with a tool is still a fool.

Jan

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: how to get more detailed error messages?
От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: Functions in Postgres