Re: COPY Error Message is Confusing

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: COPY Error Message is Confusing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Bryan White <bryan@arcamax.com> wrote:

> I suggest this be changed to:
>
>     copy: input tuple 8590351, Bad date external
> representation '04-0| '

It's not strictly a "tuple" until it's been loaded.

> After investigating this it turns out the number
> reported is a 1-based input
> record number.  Referring to it as a line number is
> very confusing because
> records may span line boundaries.

Not so with COPY.  The record separator is hard-coded
to be a newline: the field separator can be set at
runtime, but the record separator cannot.  That would
be a nice feature to have, though.

> It would also be useful to report the name of the
> table being copied to.  It
> would be really useful if it would output the
> offending input line(s)
> content though that might have security related
> issues.

Various people have wished for an import application
with more intelligence than COPY now has.  No doubt
much of this could be achieved simply by building
extra features into COPY.

With about three more years of study, I might have the
competency to attempt that myself.  In the meantime,
is anyone else volunteering? :-)

majordomo@postgresql.org)