Re: Cygwin Postgres 7.1.3 on Windows ME

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Cygwin Postgres 7.1.3 on Windows ME
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Phil,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:44:35PM -0000, Phil Shaw wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a local development environment for
> PostgreSQL on my Windows ME machine. I have been partly successful:
>
> 1. I have started the IPC daemon process
> 2. I have initialized the database
> 3. I have started the postmaster process
>
> However, when I try to run psql:
>
> $ psql template1
>
> I get the following log generated in the postgres window and psql
> does not respond:
>
> pq_flush: send() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
> pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

Please search the Cygwin archives.  There are many reference to the
above problem and hopefully solutions.  Since I never had this problem
and I used PostgreSQL under Windows 98 for all of 5 minutes, I cannot
help you further debug this problem.

BTW, are you using the latest Cygwin (i.e., 1.3.10)?  This problem may
be fixed in the latest version.

> The PostgreSQL readme says steps 1, 2 and 3 should be executed as the
> "postgres" user. I wasn't sure whether this only applied to
> configuring NT/2000 services, but I suppose this may be the problem?

No, under 9x/Me just use the basic installation procedure (i.e, not NT
services) and perform all operations under your normal account.

> I've also been following "Beginning databases with PostgreSQL" by
> Richard Stones and Neil Matthew, which talks about configuration with
> "Users and Passwords" in the Control Panel. There's no direct
> equivalent with ME, but I have created a new login for postgres via
> the "Users" panel and logged in to Windows with this account only to
> find that my Cygwin session starts under my standard profile
> Phil@eros.

Sorry, I don't know what to make of the above.

> I have tried the suggestion of logging in using ssh, but I get
> "connection refused". I've also read the readme for Cygwin login, but
> I'm not sure this is the really the right direction.

The above is not necessary for the basic installation.

> I don't know if this is strictly a PostgreSQL question and I feel
> really dumb asking. You mention Windows ME in the readme and I was
> wondering if you could point me in the right direction or put me in
> touch with someone who has got this running successfully?

Yes, mailing lists are your best friend.  Find the appropriate one and
post to it.

> Any help would be gratefully received.

Sorry, that I could not be more helpful, but I don't do the 9x/Me thing.

Jason