Re: server shutting down - fixed

От Jeremy Ferry
Тема Re: server shutting down - fixed
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
I think we've found it.  I checked the pgsql.log file again and found a few
FATAL messages.  There were however no indications of a problem but I noticed
that the times on these messages were around 6:25 every day.  From there I
figured it had to be something cron was doing.

It's the log rotation.  When it rotates the log file, it has to restart the
server so it can write to a fresh log file.  The server is not shutting down
because the application database manager is holding the connections so the
database continues to log to the old log file even though it's name has been
changed by cron.  When the application is stopped, the database manager
releases the connections and the database stops.

Solution: In the cron job we didn't specify a mode for the stop command and
it defaults to "smart" mode which means that it will wait for all connections
to exit before it shuts down.  We added the -mf flags (fast shutdown mode) to
have it disconnect existing connections and then restart.

Thanks for the help!

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 03:03 pm, you wrote:
> I had this happen (backend responding with maximum connections reached)
> just the other day after stopping and starting a server process I'm
> developing (stopped/started many times over the day). It seemed the JDBC
> connections weren't getting closed when the Java process was shutdown
> (CTRL-C or close the console window, not clean I know).
>
> After putting in a (JDK1.3 or greater) shutdown hook that explicitly shuts
> down the (poolman) connection pool, the problem goes away (looked for
> instances where I hadn't called close() on the connection too but it was
> all OK). The only reason I mention it is because I hadn't seen this before,
> but that could just be my dev server's lowly specs and 16 configured max
> connections. I guess that the client side sockets are closed, but the
> backend connections don't realise it? Or maybe its just the timing and they
> take a little while to realise the client has closed the socket (?).
>
> Joe
>
> > Jeremy,
> >
> > One place to start is to look in the postgres server logs and find out
> > why it is shutting down.
> > Also why would the backend stop giving connections? Are you not closing
> > connections?
> >
> > Dave

Jeremy Ferry
jferry@iexposure.com
Internet Exposure Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com

(612) 676-1946 (ext 18)
Web Development - Web Marketing - ISP Services