Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!

От Martín Marqués
Тема Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sáb 23 Mar 2002 10:32, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> (I haven't followed the thread closely, but would like to comment anyway
> ;)

Niether did I. :-)

> > >sold on unix and more importantly open-source, but this performance
> > >problem sure isn't helping my little "campaign."  ;-)
> >
> > um.. looks like Solaris is the issue here - If you can persuade your
> > server management company to play ball, how about :
> > 1/ Change Platform
> > 2/ Change OS
>
> That is a pretty drastic set of alternatives. Solaris can do just fine
> as a PostgreSQL platform. Certainly 2GHz Intel hotboxes can spin more

Yes, PostgreSQL works pretty good on Solaris/SPARC, which is my main DB
platform.
But at this moment Solaris is a almost dead platform (last release, 9, was
the last, and there will be no more), and the hardware is too expensive. If
you ask your SUN dealer next year what they can offer you, they will probably
tell you that they have these nice Intel servers with SUN/Linux inside. :-P

So, and to finish, I don't see them as so drastic, but more like realistic.
:-)

Saludos... :-)

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?