Re: execute permissions of stored procedures?

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: execute permissions of stored procedures?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
If I understand right, many Oracle applications limit
data access by users (thereby enhancing security) by
allowing data access only via procedures.

You appear to be saying that you like this feature,
and you want it to be available in PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL has a different method of achieving the
same result, as has already been pointed out (views
with appropriate rewrite rules).  If there is not a
strong desire among PostgreSQL users for the feature
that you want, that is probably because the existing
method works well for them.

Remember that PostgreSQL is a project run and
developed by volunteers.  The strongest vote for a new
feature is the submission of code.  The developers are
not insensitive to the requests of users, but: if
development is left to them, don't be surprised that
they use their own judgement about what is most
important.

I have never seen anyone on this list say that Oracle
is not a good product.  If you want to use Oracle, and
you (or your customer) have the money to pay, then go
for it.