Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres

От Andrew Gould
Тема Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- "Corey W. Gibbs" <cgibbs@westmarkproducts.com>
wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
<snip>
> I would like to know
> who's using Postgres out there.  What's the
> application?  How big are your
> databases?  Are you using Visual Basic or C to
> connect to it through ODBC
> or are you using a Web interface?
> Any information you can provide will be greatly
> appreciated.
> thank you
> Corey W. Gibbs

My office performs financial and clinical data
analysis to find opportunities to improve operations
and the quality of patient care.  We used PostgreSQL
7.1.3 on FreeBSD to create a relational data model
version of most of our Decision Support System and
integrated data from additional data sources.  We also
have data for all inpatients discharged from nonrural
hospitals in Texas during 1999 and 2000.  We use the
state data to derive benchmarks; and apply the
benchmarks to internal data.  The database for
internal data is currently 3GB.  The database for the
state data in 14GB.

I am currently preparing to move the data from several
MS Access database applications to PostgreSQL
databases.  The users will never know anything
changed.

Since the hospital is mostly a Windows shop; we use MS
Access 97 and 2000 as front-ends via ODBC drivers.

I have setup phpPgAdmin (Apache web server with PHP4)
so that I can answer simple questions from any
executive's office in the system.

I have a Python script that obtains a current list of
PostgreSQL databases.  It renames existing .gz dump
files to .gz.old.  It then vacuums all databases and
uses pg_dump and gzip to back them up into individual
.gz files.  The script is run by cron to ensure that
even new databases are backed up automatically on a
weekly basis.

Andrew Gould