Re: Request for Benchmarks...

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Request for Benchmarks...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve Wolfe wrote:
> > All I can say is make sure you are using 7.2 and not an earlier release,
> > especially for SMP machines, and also look at checkpoint_segments to
> > prevent checkpointing too often under heavy load.
>
>   Upgrading our production server to a brand-new release, in the middle of
> the upswing of our season, might not be the smartest thing for me to do,
> but I'll see if I can.  I'm not sure what you mean about
> checkpoint_segments, can you point me to more information?

I am working on an addition to my hardware tuning guide this week for
that item.  Tom Lane in pgbench testing found that heavy activity was
causing checkpoints every few seconds, rather than the usual 1-5 minutes
we prefer.  The only want to know if you need more segements is to look
in the server logs and time the duration between checkpoints.  We have
a TODO item to improve this reporting in 7.3.  You can also add log
timestamps to make it easier.