Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Haroldo Stenger wrote:

> > Depends on how it is handled ...
>
> How do you see it not slowing down, when key developers said their view
> is that multithreading will pose a major obstacle? Are you envisioning
> any special approach not already talked about?

Read my previous emails?  To move *any part of PgSQL* to a threaded model
(even one where each connection is still forked, but parts of each
connection are threaded), the mess of global variables needs to be cleaned
up ... that will be one of the "major obstacles" ... if someone with a
knowledge of making code thread-safe were to submit patches (even very
large ones) that start to clean this up, it could be broken down into more
manageable chunks ...

The second major obstacle that has been identified is cross-platform
comapability ... as I mentioned already, and another has also, Apache2 has
their APR code that might help us reduce that obstacle to a more
manageable level, since, I believe, the Apache license wouldn't restrict
us to being able to use/distribute the code ... this is definitely
something that we'd have to look into to make sure though ...

The point is that nobody is even implying that this is a "for v7.3"
project ... there have been several projects that have been initiated over
the years that have straddled releases, and we have alot of very good
developers, and testers, that will make sure that any changes are "for the
good" ...

Сообщение: Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Сообщение: Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server