Can I contribute : " Soft Tuning PostgreSQL HOWTO "

От Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Тема Can I contribute : " Soft Tuning PostgreSQL HOWTO "
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi all,

Bruce Momjian wrote an article about Hardware Tuning, on the 8th of
January 2002, wich is linked from techdocs.postgresql.org

I am DBA in an Open Source company in Paris, France. I wrote a SGML
document on Soft Tuning HOWTO. I use this document on every tuning
session of PostgreSQL customers want.

I am wondering if you could:
 * tell me if you are interested in this document
 * make a link to my doc (and / or host the document ??)
 * correct posible mistakes of language
 * have an advice on technical subjects (tell me if I say the truth or
   not, if my advices are good or not)=> hackers?

If you are interested in this little contrib, please tell me, I'll send
the SGML source of the document.

I talk about many subjects on HOWTO make a PostgreSQL business databases
run faster.

For example (not yet in correct order):
 * datatype
 * btrees / rtrees and sequence based primary keys => index tree balancing
 * vacuum, vaccumdb
 * size of tables
 * making archive tables to empty production tables
 * symbolic links to move tables on different disks
 * index or not index on tables? => litle tables should not often be
   indexed,
 * etc...

So, I hope this document to become a Cookbook on HOWTO soft tune a
PostgreSQL database.

Bruce wrote the HOWTO Hard tune database, I think this could be put
together to help DBAs.

Regards,

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO                             IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données            15-17, av. de Ségur