Re: Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)

От Ned Wolpert
Тема Re: Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
(I'm replying using the thread-name you wanted.)

--- Kov�cs_P�ter <peter.kovacs@sysdata.siemens.hu> wrote:
> My main point with my post was to clarify that there are no outstanding
> legal issues with the Exoffice contribution. I am not very familiar with

There are no legal issues to worry about.  Exoffice (now known as
Intalio's
exolab project) code was/is BSD-based licensed, which is completely
integrated to the driver.  So no worries there.

> Also, if support for this kind of functionality (transaction support --
> even if it is limited to isolated ("local") transactions) is
discontinued
> as part of PostgreSQL, for purely efficiency reasons I would have to

I feel confident in saying the following: (Disclaimer, I'm not a
CVS committer, just a code submitter.)

Transaction support in PostgreSQL will _never_ be discontinued. Ever.
If it ever does, many people will migrate away from from PostgreSQL.
If anything, transaction support will be expanded, so no worries here
either.

> Where do you see incompleteness in the code? Does this incompleteness
> relates to functionality relevant to PostgreSQL?

XA support is incomplete simply because PostgreSQL doesn't support
two-phase commits. How can one test it otherwise? TP monitors aren't
that useful with a database that only works in (as you say) 'local'
mode for transactions.

> for (which aspects of the jdbc2 extensions they're cover). The only
> extension these classes do not support seem to be RowSets. Since this
> package does not contain a class named 'RowSet' (or even close to it)

Yes.  I'm planning to work on rowsets once I get the pooling stuff
complete. It would be great if you wanted to help on that too. (And
anyone else, for that fact)

Note that I don't think the current Pooled API connections are complete
either.  The api is there, but the functionality behind the api is
not correct. (Example, if a SQL error occurs, ConnectionEventListeners
are not informed)

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord