Re: appropriate sort_mem & shared buffers

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: appropriate sort_mem & shared buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I was thinking that the higher the
> > buffer size the longer it would take for the database to allocate the
> > memory before it can serve the query.
>
> No.  The shared buffers are a static allocation that is made once when
> the postmaster starts.

The web site is using PHP so a connection is stablished every time. The
little I have read little about permanent(persistent?) connections seems
so will look into that later. After this is in production I will start
looking at the archives of the pgsql-php list to see the current state of
php permanent connections.

So if PHP is stablishing a new connection every time isn't a new instance
of the backend, toghether with the overhead of allocating memory space,
been started?

On the apache web server one can have a few instances running waiting for
requests. Can that be done with pgsql, or does it even make sense to have
such arrangement on pgsql?