Using a tablename as a parameter to a function.

От Stephen Ingram
Тема Using a tablename as a parameter to a function.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Hi there,

Is it possible (legal syntax, I mean) to pass a tablename
as a parameter to a function?

I don't know if its impossible or just that my plpgsql code is
not up to scratch.

Don't laugh, I'm just starting!  :)

Thanks for any pointers anyone can give.

steve

drop function testfunc( text );

create function testfunc( text ) returns int
as
'
    declare
        rowcount          int         := 0;

        tablename         alias for $1;

    begin

        -- ----------------------------------------------------------
        -- Report on the number of entries in the table.

        select into rowcount count(*) from tablename;

        return rowcount;

    end;
'
language 'plpgsql';